Go Back   The Sportbikes Website > Regional Topics > Great Lakes > Minnesota/Iowa

Old 02-17-2005, 06:29 PM   #1
emrah
Wants a new title under name

Here's My Homemade Frame Sliders

Here's the frame sliders I made at work from some nylon stock. Like the kewl grooves? Semi bling at least?

I had to get a long 12mm threaded rod and weld a flanged nut to one side (like the stock through bolt) and put a flanged nut on the other side.

I didn't take pictues off the bike, but I had to neck-down the frame side to the proper diameter so the part that lies flush with the frame just barely clears the frame by a couple thou. clearance.

Hope I never have to use them.

Emrah

P.S. I made swingarm spools out of steel round stock as well (previously posted), but I may just make new ones out of some Delrin that we have lying around at the shop instead. I think that if I have a spool back there, it might as well be able to slide and wear away a little better like the frame slider.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01159.JPG (38.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01161.JPG (25.0 KB, 52 views)

www.trans-amseries.com
www.derhaag.com

'05 Suzuki SV-650S (Blue)
Old 02-17-2005, 06:39 PM   #2
zaskar
Local stiff-arm

Look real nice, good job!!
Old 02-17-2005, 06:58 PM   #3
v2earlyt
"What Goes Here?"

Looking good. :thumbsup

:thinking I didn't know you could get nylon in black. I'll have to order some of that up and get busy.

Some people are like Slinkies. They are absolutely good for nothing, but they still make you smile when you throw them down the stairs.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:58 PM   #4
luttersj
Pro Racer

you know, this is similar to how Chuck Graves got started... Just remember the little people!

The preceding post may contain coarse language and due to its content it should not be read by anyone.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:24 PM   #5
emrah

Tom,

I got it from McMaster Carr. I don't know if you have access to it or not. Not sure if they sell to private buyers or only to companies. I can find out the part number for you if you'd like. They have Delrin too. They list Nylon as just a little bit softer, so I chose that so it slides and grinds away a little easier (instead of digging in).

Emrah

www.trans-amseries.com
www.derhaag.com

Old 02-18-2005, 05:41 AM   #6
skippy
Able to logon at work

You do some awesome work. It must be nice to have all that stuff available (and know how to use it). You will end up saving quite a bit of money (more track days).
Old 02-18-2005, 06:28 AM   #7
gi02sl
"What Goes Here?"

If these weren't too much effort to make and didn't cost too much, you should get some pics of the sliders on and off the bike and put an ad on ebay. Find out what the response is, maybe it will be worth your effort.
98 Honda F3 #232
Old 02-18-2005, 07:35 AM   #8
zeus
Still thinks the forum is shiny and new

Those look good. You may want to watch the length though. When sliders get that long it puts a lot of leverage on the bolt and slider. I have seen a lot of those long sliders bend over or snap off as soon as they hit the ground. I try to keep mine about 1" or a little more past the bodywork or hard parts near by the mounting location.

The nylon is softer and will wear very fast in a slide and will act just the opposite of what you were thinking with the Delrin digging in. The nylon will want to grab more than the Delrin but not by much. Derlin is use to make bearings this is because it is very hard and has a very low friction point. I have tested the sliders I make multiple times and there is very little wore away on them even after multiple crashes.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:12 PM   #9
v2earlyt
"What Goes Here?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrah
Tom,

I got it from McMaster Carr. I don't know if you have access to it or not. Not sure if they sell to private buyers or only to companies. I can find out the part number for you if you'd like. They have Delrin too. They list Nylon as just a little bit softer, so I chose that so it slides and grinds away a little easier (instead of digging in).

Emrah
McMaster-Carr and I have a long history together. :proud
As well as Mcneilus Steel. :thumbsup

Some people are like Slinkies. They are absolutely good for nothing, but they still make you smile when you throw them down the stairs.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:57 PM   #10
NinjaNick
"What Goes Here?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2earlyt
McMaster-Carr and I have a long history together. :proud
As well as Mcneilus Steel. :thumbsup
McNeilus Steel is Garbage, ha he get it?????
Old 02-18-2005, 02:59 PM   #11
emrah

Zeus,

Good points. I guess I figured wrong on the wear/crash characteristics of Delrin vs. Nylon. Oh well.

As far as the length goes, I can very easily take them off and turn the lengths down a little bit. I didn't really know how long to make them, so I guesstimated. I don't have "bodywork" per se, so it was tough to judge what would be a good length. I want them long enough to keep as much of the upper fairing and hard parts away from the ground, but not too long that they bend and break like you were saying. I might do some tweaking on it later.

Emrah

www.trans-amseries.com
www.derhaag.com

Old 02-18-2005, 03:03 PM   #12
v2earlyt
"What Goes Here?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNick
:thinking Nope. You'll have to Nickeneous it for me.

Old 02-18-2005, 03:25 PM   #13
luttersj
Pro Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNick
:biggrin I get it.

McNeilus is known for making garbage truck bodies. My buddy used to work there.

The preceding post may contain coarse language and due to its content it should not be read by anyone.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:33 AM   #14
NinjaNick
"What Goes Here?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luttersj
:biggrin I get it.

McNeilus is known for making garbage truck bodies. My buddy used to work there.
You got it sheldon. Except I couldn't figure how to incorperate the cement trucks into the joke. Their cement trucks is my jobs number one customer. Our highest volume parts go to their trucks.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:18 AM   #15
v2earlyt
"What Goes Here?"

I had no idea. Our plant just orders steel stock from them.

Like flats, round bar, tubing, etc...