Go Back   The Sportbikes Website > Brand Specific Motorcycle Topics > Pocket bikes

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 08:55 PM   #1
ehroof
Forum Newbie

pocket bike wont start

hi, i am fairly new to pocket bikes but i am not to bikes and engines in general. My friend gave me a pocket bike last week and i cant get it to start. let me start off with what i have done.
1. checked plug, has spark
2. put new gas/oil mixture
3. put starting fluid in carb, then cylinder.

The bike does not even try to start. sounds the same with the key on or off.
the battery is stone dead but i made sure it still has spark and it does, does not even try to start with starting fluid. i am trying to start the bike with the pull start.

this bike has a primer bulb on bottom of the carb, when i press the primer, the fuel returns to the tank thru the clear tube. The plug is wet when i take it out after about 20 pulls on the starter and starting fluid, i take it out, clean, check for spark, squirt in the starting fluid, put plug back in, put key on, pull the pull start and absoulutely nothing. it is turning over, just not starting. feels like it has good compression. I am going to try a new plug tomorrow, but wouldnt it start with the starting fluid even if the plug had a weak spark? The spark does look good though, just a bogus name on the plug.
any help would be appreciated.

thanks
eddie
Old 08-09-2005, 10:21 PM   #2
harkins722
Thinks they have something to say

check if you floded your engine, u do that by taking out the sparkplug and pullstarting it a copple times, also try tuning your carb, if its a 49cc it should be 2 1/2 turns out
Old 08-10-2005, 12:02 AM   #3
speed_freak
Wants a new title under name

if ur plug is wet its gettin fuel to it so it may be your plug but start in on the stand and set your idol pretty high just to see if it will kik over but it seems like youve checked everything. also specify what type of bike it is eg cag midbike etc
Old 08-10-2005, 08:14 AM   #4
ehroof
Forum Newbie

it is a chinese version of the pocketbike, i am not too sure what make or brand it is, it has a charge, key and fuse area on the side under the seat, it says it is manufactured by electra. It just does not fire when trying to start. i dont have the charger for it, and the battery is dead. It does have spark, i checked.

Last edited by ehroof; 08-10-2005 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:35 AM   #5
mblough
"What Goes Here?"

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Dude your description doesnt really help us a whole lot. Your gonna need to post a pic of the bike or check the floss you ride section and see if there is one like your. Knowing which bike you got will help us alot.

Some bikes have a safety built into them and you have to hold the brake handle in when trying to start.
Proud Cat Eyes owner! Current mods: sikk toys filter, v-stack, walbro wt-603 carb, pbu reed induction, fatty hp exhaust w/pbu torquer, headstrong kit w/race dome, 14t front sprocket, 36t rear sprocket, lightweight clutch, cathode lights, velvet akira seat, paint frame, brake, tioa brake lines, integrated triple tree, lots of blue anodized parts. more to come.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:59 PM   #6
Brendax
Likes to see their avatar

stupid question but do you start it with choke closed.
and do ya give it a bit of gas?
Old 08-10-2005, 08:47 PM   #7
ehroof
Forum Newbie

If the spark plug sparks without the break being held in would it make a difference about the starting?

I tried starting the bike with choke, without choke, with a little throttle given, wide open throttle. i always take the plug out after about 10 pulls to make sure there is spark and there is.

what has me baffled it that it does not even give a little sputter when i spray it with starting fluid. i sprayed it in the carb and take the plug out and spray it in the cylinder. I'll pull the pull start and nothing.

I think i am going to try a new plug and see if that helps. i am going to try to take a picture of the bike and post it. it has 2 small round headlights in the front, they look like low voltage halogen bulbs if that helps with the discription. no tail light either and a single exhaust. Its a real shame because its a nice looking bike. its a street bike not a dirt bike.

thanks for the help so far, if anyone has any other suggestions i would appreciate it. i bought 2 other pocket dirt bikes for my kids (8 and 10) and they work great, start 123.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:06 PM   #8
Brendax

its an X1 or an X2, whats the cvt look like?
Old 08-10-2005, 10:00 PM   #9
ehroof
Forum Newbie

what is cvt? sorry
Old 08-10-2005, 10:27 PM   #10
Brendax

should be grey or black on the right hand side of the bike attatched to the chain
Old 08-13-2005, 09:49 AM   #11
ehroof
Forum Newbie

The CVT is grey would you know what bike it is?? who makes it? where i can find info on it? I tried to start it with the brake held in, but nothing. It is getting very fustrating.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks
eddie
Old 08-13-2005, 03:58 PM   #12
live2surf111
Forum Newbie

it is the transmission. it is either a greyish metal color or black . if youre sitting on ure bike its on the right side of the engine.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:22 PM   #13
ehroof
Forum Newbie

hi,
its a greyish metal color.

thanks
eddie
Old 08-13-2005, 04:31 PM   #14
live2surf111
Forum Newbie

this means you have the x1. yea i know it can be really frustrating but you just haveto go through all the areas of the bike you can think of and figure out where they could go wrong. it seems like you've done most of the first things you should do to try to start it, did you try the carb?

Cat Eye
with chrome dual exhaust(not stock one)
K&n style filter
tuned out carb
boost bottle

Previous
X1 completely stock

:cops :rockets
Old 08-13-2005, 08:27 PM   #15
ehroof
Forum Newbie

i took the carb off to make sure that the gasket was on correct and it was, i adjusted it 3 turns out then back to 2 1/2 like the other guy said. the thing that i dont get is that even if the carb was totally out of whack, when i spray the starting fluid in and it checks good for spark, when i go to start it wouldnt it give a little hint of starting? the batter it dead so i use the pull start. i checked all the wiring to make sure the plugs matched up and they did. its got me going a little crazy. any ideas? the bike is like brand new, not a scratch or anything. my buddy is a wholesaler for these bikes, the other 2 he gave me are great, they are dirt bikes but they start up 123, dont even have to use the choke.

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Closed Thread