Go Back   The Sportbikes Website > Motorcycle Repair / Maintenance & Modifications > Tricks, Tips & Performance Modifications > X-Treme Horsepower

Old 11-17-2005, 04:24 AM   #1
AA3
Forum Newbie

125CC Turbo

Hello,

I'm a Portuguese motorcycle/car lover with a lot of projects in my mind :P.
After this little introduction comes the question. I want to know if it is possible to turbo charge a Honda CBR 125R or a Aprilia RS125 without "blowing" the engine.
The turbo is small (donated from a ~1200CC diesel car) and it will make a pressure of 0-1 bar (in the best case scenario, it will make a presure of 0.5 bar).

Best regards,
AA3

Last edited by AA3; 11-17-2005 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:02 AM   #2
02redr1

of coiurse.......
Old 11-17-2005, 09:19 AM   #3
j_mo93
1000cc of manhood compensation

Of course you could, but why?

they have an exhaust and an intake, and as best as I can tell that is all you need.

but, why not just get a 250cc (or better yet a 600)?

A turbo charged 2-stroke would seem very scary, to me. Both in terms of the nature of the power output and in terms of maintanence. 2 strokers ain't known for seal longevity; in my mind, increasing the pressures on the engine (and the fuel and oil mixture) by half a BAR would seem like courting disaster.

But, if you do it, let us know how it works (or doesn't work) out.

2002 Honda RC51 (track bitch/twisty toy)
2012 Suzuki Hayabusa (cruiser)
Old 11-17-2005, 09:41 AM   #4
motokid

Pictures, pictures, I want pictures...especially the CBR125R !!!!! Everybody in America should see what one of those looks like. (we don't have them here...)
Old 11-21-2005, 05:31 AM   #5
AA3
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_mo93
Of course you could, but why?

they have an exhaust and an intake, and as best as I can tell that is all you need.
Yes indeed thas all I need.

Quote:
but, why not just get a 250cc (or better yet a 600)?
I never have seen a 125CC turbo, thats why :S

Quote:
A turbo charged 2-stroke would seem very scary, to me. Both in terms of the nature of the power output and in terms of maintanence.
Indeed it whoul be very scary in terms of power/weight ratio.

Quote:
2 strokers ain't known for seal longevity; in my mind, increasing the pressures on the engine (and the fuel and oil mixture) by half a BAR would seem like courting disaster.
Well the Honda CBR 125R is a 4 stroke. The seal, the piston head and everything else is stronger than 2 stroke engine imo. But, the risc is big anyway.

Quote:
But, if you do it, let us know how it works (or doesn't work) out.
Of course, but it will take a while until that. I have to investigate before I buy a 125CC and turbo charged it :P There is many things I have to think, like the custom intake manifold and intake pipes I have to make, what turbo should I buy, and does the turbo have a waste gate our will I have to buy one, and other things that I cant remember now.
Oh, and I need to make a piggy bank to make this project a reality :) :)

Thanks for your time :)

PS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda CBR 125R Engine Specs
Engine Type: 125 cc, 4 Stroke - Liquid Cooled - Single
Engine Bore and Stroke: 58 mm x 47.2 mm
Compression Ratio: 11:1
Carburetion: 28mm VK-type carburettor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia 125RS Engine Specs
Engine Type: 125 cc, 2 Stroke - Liquid Cooled - Single
Engine Bore and Stroke: 54 x 54.5 mm
Compression Ratio: 12.5:1
Carburetion: Dell’Orto PHBH 28 BD
Old 11-21-2005, 06:09 AM   #6
j_mo93
1000cc of manhood compensation

well, that shows how much we yanks know about smaller displacement sportbikes... I just assumed (and you know what happens when you assume?) that it was a two stroke engine... sorry.

As I read your post, with my quotes, I realize that my advice was virtually worthless. They don't sell that bike here in the states, and I should have kept my mouth shut. Good luck with the project... However, for my time and money, I would just buy a 600 and call it a day (but then again, I have already proven myself a fool!)

2002 Honda RC51 (track bitch/twisty toy)
2012 Suzuki Hayabusa (cruiser)
Old 11-22-2005, 04:12 AM   #7
AA3
Forum Newbie

You posted your opinion and its a valid one (and should keep doing it). You showed me a different perspective :):)
Old 01-06-2006, 06:59 AM   #8
stress_L&P
Forum Newbie

this is my first post here so... hello! my name is sergiu and i'm from Romania an i ride for 5 years now, i'm 21!:)
anyway, i wanted to tell you that you CANNOT put a turbo on a 2 stroke because it works different from a 4 stroke and because it's already a supercharged engine! ;)
Old 01-07-2006, 12:49 PM   #9
rangerbrown
Probably going to be divorced

yea we got that part. look your going to need an even smaller turbo .5 litter size the 125 just will no be able to spool it up.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:14 PM   #10
Shimmster
Forum Newbie

Hi, while my knowledge of motorcycles is limited (i'm intending on getting one when either my car breaks down for good, or i get a lot of money from some source), i can tell you that a turbo won't work (very well) on a 125cc, not because of the engine capacity but rather its lack of cylinders, for most turbos you need about three cylinders otherwise the exhaust pulses are too far apart.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:30 PM   #11
L33
Forum Newbie

Hi i'm from the UK, i have turbocharged my CBR125 and it now makes 29hp but thats with extras, the bike has an Endurance Race system, a Keihin carb, 150cc bore kit, High lift cam and the porting has been changed. The way you are planning to do it won't work very well since the engine is small, i used a turbo already designed for 125cc 4 strokes(i changed a few things), it has a CPU and adjusts the fueling itself and forces air into the carburettor(no air box) via an electric fan that comes in at 7,500rpm. Although coupled with an unlimited rpm CDI i'm sure you could get over 30hp easily. Its amazing to rid it will lift the front wheel under its own power in 1st and gets light in 2nd but this is with standard gearing, i'm pretty sure if it was geared properly you could see 120mph on the clock. Don't expect your bike to last long, mine has developed a clicking noise from the engine already and its only been 2 months.
By the way don't waste your time with an Aprilia RS125(mine seized in the 2 weeks i had it), they are unreliable enough as it is and anyway a Honda RS125 race bike makes 40bhp and eats litre class bikes round the track so it would be a waste of time.

Good luck.

Last edited by L33; 01-12-2006 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:07 AM   #12
02redr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stress_L&P
this is my first post here so... hello! my name is sergiu and i'm from Romania an i ride for 5 years now, i'm 21!:)
anyway, i wanted to tell you that you CANNOT put a turbo on a 2 stroke because it works different from a 4 stroke and because it's already a supercharged engine! ;)

guess you've never seen a turbo banshee then eh?

how's that project coming?? you know you might also be able to put a small supercharger on it..it might be a better option..the smaller one's i've seen run off of the cam gear....just fyi
Old 01-25-2006, 05:03 PM   #13
-Ace
Bike’s broken, nothing else to do

i would really like to know how that turned out, i was wanting to put nos on a 250cc ninja, someone said i should look into a turbo, but something tells me i would blow myself up, which is exacly what im trying not to do :slap , anyone have ideas or comments?
Some people get a rush from going 200 in a straight line, others get it from getting a knee down in the twisties, and others get it from stunting. No matter which of the styles fit each of us it's all about pushing ourselves and our bikes to their limits. We're all showing off to someone, sometimes it's just to ourselves.
Next MotoGP Race: April 29th, 2006 @ Turkey
Old 01-28-2006, 06:37 AM   #14
mightyjarc
Forum Newbie

hi guys my names nick

yes you can turbo a 2 stroke and yes it has been done . secret is in the expantion chambers . supercharging is much more reliable .
as for 4 strokes turbo/ supercharging is much of a muchness. much cheaper and much easier than a 2 stroke.and very reliable.
nos kits for 100cc 250cc and 500 are available too and reliable.
banchee,s run a 20yr old engine design and can be turboed. they can only run low boost so im in agreeance with our romanian friend. current design 2 stroke motors run 1 pipe from the front of motor and the other from the back. so 1 pipe would be nearly 3 times longer than the other. when they meet on the turbo and would blow the shit out of it. unless its a single piston engine and thats a different story.
garrett have a gt10 turbo that would suit a 250cc 4 stroke beautifully. running on a low boost, just need to jet the carbs. around 9psi 12psi and you,ll give the rgv boys a big scare , but much bigger buck !!

Last edited by mightyjarc; 01-28-2006 at 07:18 AM. Reason: miss quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:46 PM   #15
Dizzle
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33
Hi i'm from the UK, i have turbocharged my CBR125 and it now makes 29hp but thats with extras, the bike has an Endurance Race system, a Keihin carb, 150cc bore kit, High lift cam and the porting has been changed. The way you are planning to do it won't work very well since the engine is small, i used a turbo already designed for 125cc 4 strokes(i changed a few things), it has a CPU and adjusts the fueling itself and forces air into the carburettor(no air box) via an electric fan that comes in at 7,500rpm. Although coupled with an unlimited rpm CDI i'm sure you could get over 30hp easily. Its amazing to rid it will lift the front wheel under its own power in 1st and gets light in 2nd but this is with standard gearing, i'm pretty sure if it was geared properly you could see 120mph on the clock. Don't expect your bike to last long, mine has developed a clicking noise from the engine already and its only been 2 months.
By the way don't waste your time with an Aprilia RS125(mine seized in the 2 weeks i had it), they are unreliable enough as it is and anyway a Honda RS125 race bike makes 40bhp and eats litre class bikes round the track so it would be a waste of time.

Good luck.
yeah right ok mate, i dont know where to start.

1. an electric fan is not a turbo - its an electric fan.

2. how can a cpu adjust fuelling automatically on a bike running carburettors?

3. a 125 will not power wheelie with a mere 30 bhp.

4. a roadgoing 125 will not see 120mph.

5. aprilia rs125's are not unreliable, they are infact very reliable if treated with care and are far more reliable than a cbr125. there are people who have seen well over 30,000 kms on the same top end they bough the bike with.

6. honda rs125's do not eat litre class bikes on any track short of a go kart circuit, get yourself to cadwell man and watch a trackday or 2.

its possible to turbo a 125 with a small turbo, t1 sized would be ideal - however i wouldnt run over 6psi if you want it to stay reliable, though i wouldnt like to spend the money in doing so. buy an n2o kit so then at least the money you spent can be transferred to your next bike!